Think about it — every app you use, every website you visit, and even the device you’re reading this article on — all owe their existence to lines of code. Yet, building such software in-house usually turns out to be costly and time-consuming. Luckily, there’s a solution: outsourcing software development services.
More and more companies delegate software development to third-party vendors. Why? To speed up their digital transformation and meet the demand for cutting-edge infrastructure. And here’s the result. The IT software outsourcing market is about to double by 2032.
We at DigitalSuits have a clear idea about the ins and outs of how outsourcing software development works as a company providing such services. Discover its benefits in this post and explore the software development lifecycle in-depth. Tackle the outsourcing process with our comprehensive guide.
Benefits of outsourcing software development
Software development is like a treasure hunt, and outsourcing leads you to the experts. Need Shopify professionals, AI specialists, or mobile app developers? Whatever your desired expertise is, be sure to find suitable talent from around the globe.
Reaching the market faster is one of the advantages of outsourcing software development. With this approach, you no longer need to wait for the right team to assemble. Instead, you locate specialists right away and keep your project running.
Outsourcing frees up your in-house team’s time for what they do best — your core business. Whether you’re in e-commerce, healthcare, or finance, your internal specialists can stick to their tasks while the outsourced software devs work their magic.
The process of outsourcing translates to flexibility. Do you require a small team for a short-term project? Need a dedicated partner for the long haul? Outsourcing has got you covered in these and even more cases.
Navigating the software development lifecycle alone is tough. For example, you may hire the wrong in-house experts or face technical setbacks. And all these situations put you at risk. Yet, outsourcing providers have well-established processes to handle your issues.
Key considerations for software outsourcing
How to successfully outsource software development? Pay attention to a few details and get a streamlined dev process at your fingertips.
Consideration 1: project suitability
Not every project is a good match for outsourcing. For example, why transfer to third-party devs if your internal team can handle the task? Thus, the first thing you want to do is identify the processes you want to delegate. Describe them in detail, outlining the necessary expertise.
Consideration 2: communication and collaboration
Keeping your in-house and outsourced teams in sync is critical. That’s why you need tools and strategies to ensure everyone’s on the same page. Think of the communication channels you’ll use and set a clear schedule.
Consideration 3: intellectual property and data security
Protecting your data is a vital aspect of how to successfully outsource IT development. Ensure your outsourcing partner has robust security measures to keep your information safe.
The outsourcing software development lifecycle
Let’s kick off this part with a brief software development lifecycle definition. A software development lifecycle, or SDLC, is an approach that takes you through all the software dev steps, from planning and design to coding, testing, deployment, and maintenance.
What’s the lifecycle of software development in outsourcing? It’s almost the same as the regular SDLC. Yet, some twists and turns, like cross-border teamwork and global perspective, are present.
Now, explore the software product development lifecycle in greater detail.
1. Requirement analysis
Your software development lifecycle begins with requirements analysis. It helps you define the blueprint for the whole project. In this phase, you should:
- Outline your software’s technical requirements.
- Define your project goals and expectations.
- Consider the necessary expertise.
It’s also good to check your in-house team’s skill set. You neither want to hire the same talents twice nor miss vital competencies for your project, right?
2. Vendor selection
Once you’ve identified your project needs, proceed to vendor selection. Go through the following criteria:
- Expertise and experience. Check your partner’s niche and years of work in the software outsourcing market. Review their portfolio to get even more details.
- References and reviews. Learn more about your outsourced software developers by studying their previous customers’ feedback.
- Budget. Find out your vendor’s price and see if it matches your budget.
- Flexibility. Consider how easily the partner adapts to various project changes and requirements.
- Cooperation terms. Study the legal aspects of your partnership. These are, for example, intellectual property rights and dispute resolution strategies.
When you tackle the above, send the Request for Proposal (RFP) and Request for Quotes (RFQ) documents to the vendor. The first will give you info on your project scope and suggested solutions. The RFQ, on the other hand, will detail your project price.
3. Development and testing
Now, we’re in the heart of the action — the development and testing phase. It’s where the tangible work starts, and your chosen vendor brings your project to life. During this phase, you should:
Manage the development process. Monitor the outsourced vendor’s progress through regular audits. Handle meetings with your distant team, whether online or offline. Ensure the testing process goes smoothly.
Basically, you only have to pay attention to how well your outsourced team performs. You don’t need to get into all the project’s technical details to ensure proper completion.
4. Deployment and maintenance
What is software outsourcing without the deployment and maintenance phases? This stage is your project’s culmination. Here, you should:
Transition your software into everyday use. Ensure your product runs smoothly after launch.
In some cases, you can skip the maintenance part and close your contract with the vendor upon successful deployment. But it’s always better to keep an eye on your software after it hits the market. That’s how you make it relevant, secure, and optimized, following the latest trends.
Overcoming Outsourcing Challenges
While the outsourcing process brings plenty of benefits, it’s not that simple. But don’t worry. Check out potential obstacles and prepare for them in advance.
- Cultural and language differences. When you work with a team from a different part of the world, cultural and language barriers may pop up. But it’s best not to see them as obstacles. Rather, handle regular meetings and find similarities between cultures.
- Time zone disparities. Outsourcing often requires mastering time travel. Consider when both you and your vendor are available, and create a communication and reporting plan accordingly.
- Project management and control. Handling outsourced projects might seem challenging. But with the right strategies, it’s actually a breeze. A clear project roadmap, regular progress updates, and collaborative tools like Asana and Trello might help.
Best Practices for Successful Outsourcing
Now, let’s talk about how to make your IT software outsourcing successful. Here are several tips that may come in handy:
- Clear expectations and deliverables. Define your project objectives, milestones, and what you expect from your outsourcing partner. Ensure you set measurable goals.
- Regular progress updates and transparent reporting. Keep a detailed log of your project — the recent developments, successes, and any issues that appear along the way.
- Building strong relationships with outsourced teams. Transparent communication, trust, and mutual respect make your collaboration fruitful.
- Embracing innovation. Be open to adjustments, new ideas, and unexpected challenges.
- Fostering continuous improvement. Regularly check your outsourcing processes and performance. Always seek feedback from your team and partners.
Outsourcing software development services: DigitalSuits’ case studies
DigitalSuits is a pro when it comes to outsourcing in software development. Take a glimpse at several of our case studies:
Dashboard for Evolve Markets
Our client, Evolve Markets, is a US-based broker that offers a trading platform covering everything from crypto and FX to stocks. They needed a sleek dashboard and a robust management tool. As a result, DigitalSuits handled those tasks and elevated the user experience in the world of online trading.
SecuLinks Shopify app for Snap
Snap, a web development company from the US, needed a Shopify extension. We had to develop an app for handling third-party links and redirections, following Shopify guidelines. The result? SecuLinks is listed on the Shopify app store and helps small to medium-sized Shopify-based businesses reach success.
Monitoring system for an artificially intelligent security app
Our collaboration with a Germany-based home security company began with a single spark. We had to create a website to broadcast events from a smart home device. The success of this initial venture brought us to the next phase. DigitalSuits has also built a monitoring system. Now, users can control their home security through a single device.
Outsourcing software development services is your way to cut costs, access niche talent, and roll your products out faster. It’s an opportunity to focus on your core business processes.
Still hesitant about software outsourcing? Don’t be. Choose a reliable vendor like DigitalSuits. Reach out to our team to discuss your project in detail.